Do you feel like you’re constantly hearing about how important it is to drink more water?
Dry skin? Water.
Need to lose weight? Water.
Bad credit? Water.
Okay, maybe not that last one. But here’s the real deal: water can be one of the most useful tools when you’re trying to get healthy and feel better. Why not start off your New Year’s resolution of getting fit by doing something as simple as drinking more water every day?
As far as losing weight goes, drinking more water won’t make you wake up five pounds smaller, BUT without realizing it, water will give you a little boost to help drop that extra five pounds more quickly. Here are some benefits:
- Water speeds up your metabolism
- Water curbs your appetite
- Water removes toxins from your body
- Water boosts your energy
If those don’t make you want to run and buy that one liter Aquafina bottle, maybe these symptoms of dehydration will. And when I say dehydration, I don’t just mean the moments you feel thirsty. Your body can be dehydrated without you even knowing it.
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Bladder and kidney inflammation and infection
Not fun, right? Your body is made up of up to 60% water, so clearly it is important to drink enough. A good rule of thumb is to drink about half of your body weight in ounces of water each day. For example: If you weight 180 pounds, you should drink around 90 ounces of water every day. But with busy work days, kids, and the need for caffeine, it can be very hard to make sure you’re getting enough. Here are ten tips to help you remember to drink more water:
- Drink a glass of water right when you wake up in the morning.
- Drink a glass of water before and after every meal.
- Tired of cold water? Have a nice warm cup of tea!
- Set an alarm every hour and drink a glass.
- Buy a cute water bottle!
- Every time you got to the bathroom, drink another glass of water.
- Have a little friendly competition with coworkers, family, or friends!
- Write down every glass you drink and try to match or beat it every day.
- Drink through a straw- you take bigger gulps!
- Drink two glasses of water before bed.
They say it takes about 21 days of doing something for it to become a habit, so start now! Added bonus, your skin will look great!